Search

Friday 17 June 2016

Attempt at needle felting!


I've been seeing lots of crafters making cute little animals and what not by needle felting. They all look incredibly cute and irresistable and so I decided to pick it up and try to learn it myself too!


Conveniently, Daiso sells woolen felt! A packet with 3-4 colours (approx. 20g) would cost you RM5.30. There are various themes and each packet shows a picture of what you could possibly make from the colours available in that particular packet. Of course, the downside is that you can't actually choose the very specific colours you want (eg. you can't just buy 1 shade of red, you'd have to buy the pink and maroon as well).

There are actually many types of wool for needle felting. I'm not quite sure about this myself as I am also very new to this. But I've read that roving wool is the easiest and nicest to work with. To be very honest I am not sure if the type that Daiso sells is roving wool or not. Haha!

For my first attempt, I have decided to make Totoro. No specific reason.. maybe because my boyfriend likes Totoro and one of the many important roles as my boyfriend is, to be the reciever of many gifts (which are bad or failed attempts of a certain handicraft I am doing) from me. So I figured, if it turns out well, good! If it doesn't, well, I tried. At least it's still Totoro, sort of.

Here goes:

prepare the materials!

 Attempt 1:
damn you tiny Totoro that doesn't really look like Totoro

Oh I discovered something that I'd like to share, in case anyone else is like me (who doesn't read any instruction and guides before trying anything new): you'll need to take like 2 or 3 times more of the wool  (when it's rolled up) than the intended size of your end product. Else you'll end up with something much smaller than you intended and it will be more difficult to work with the smaller it is.

So yea, thought my first Totoro was too small and looks fugly. So I grabbed more wool and tried again. This time much bigger and I used safety eyes instead of just black wool for the eyes. Added details and a piece of leaf on the head too~


Kinda cute owo

It's not the best yet but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt. Need to learn how to not poke my own finger as well as produce a neater,smoother finishing.

GONNA BUY MORE MATERIALS AND PRACTICE SO I CAN MAKE MORE SHIT.


1 comment:

  1. your songs cover are so good. ı like it. ı just want to say that. have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete